Wednesday 9 December 2009

Purpose Built Venue? It's Madness

I went to see Madness at the Oasis on Monday. You might not be bothered, but I was. I was in the crowd, jiving along with multiple hits, when I noticed a photographer from the Swindon Advertiser. Obviously, I knew a review would appear, but now I knew for certain.

The next morning, I feverishly tore through a copy of the Adver until I found it. I read through it and, to be brutally honest, I was disappointed. It started off as a concert review, but halfway through it shifted focus. From a live review, the story went on to cover the long standing debate about Swindon having it's own purpose-built music venue.

I'm sorry, but if I wanted to know about the debate, I'd read a story covering just the debate, but to bring it up in a music review? How annoying must it have been if you wanted to go to the concert but was unable to, and you opened up the paper to find a review/debate hybrid.

I don't even understand why people are so bothered about it. The Oasis is a damn fine venue that pulls in big names. Lily Allen, Dizzee Rascal, Alice Cooper. All well known, I think you'll agree. Were they bothered about playing in a leisure centre? I don't think so. I mean, what is the point in spending loads of taxpayers money to replace something that's already proving to be successful? Performers are drawn to the Oasis because it's not as big as arenas, but not as small as pubs and clubs, which, they argue, gives it brilliant acoustics.

Moving away from the Oasis, we have smaller, more intimate venues, such as The Furnace and 12 Bar. Granted, it's mostly tribute acts that play, but Zebrahead have played The Furnace many a time. And they keep coming back. A couple of bands that have previously played at 12 Bar in Swindon have said how much they enjoyed it, and how good it was. Snuffs the argument, doesn't it?

I suppose I should look at the other side of the argument. People have said that the Oasis is too cramped, not well ventilated, there is only one way out (which can involve fighting through the boisterous crowd) and it smells. Well surely some of these arguments can be applied to any venue? Depending on the act and where you stand, of course it's going to be cramped: fans want to get close to their favourite band. Along with the multiple bodies packed close together, all bouncing to their favourite tunes, you're going to have the smell of sweat. Gruesome, yes, but a given at any concert.

Still, Madness enjoyed playing the show, and that counts for something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment